Wednesday, January 27, 2010

San Cristobal Amatlan

I spent a week in a bustling indigenous village by the name of San Cristobal Amatlan. The skirt got a bit more of an airing, which was nice for it as I think it had been feeling sorely ignored, if not entirely abandoned!

On Wed 20th we spent a bit of time in the kitchen, making fresh mandarin juice and coffee and slicing fruit (yummy red mamey!) for morning tea. Then we helped make mole negro (really rich, spicy, chocolatey sauce) for lunch. We served it with rice, fresh tortillas made by the lady nextdoor, and sticks of a sweet, crunchy white vegetable called 'jicaya' (I think).
Visited the Baptist church that night. Although they speak Zapotec, their traditional language here, the songs and bible readings are all in Spanish. And a bit of the preaching too.. Partly it's cos they don't have many resources in Zapotec, but partly because they seem to think doing things in spanish is the 'right' way (even though pretty much only the school kids speak it well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment